Wednesday, September 23, 2009

my birthday's tomorrow

My birthday is tomorrow, but that's not what this entry is going to be about. I've missed a lot of stuff on here because I'm too lazy to write about it online so I'm going to do my best to recap all of it/most of it/what I feel like.

So, life in Granada has not slowed down at all. Sarah and I are still running at least every other day, which has done its job of making me feel less like a sea lion. One day we did a hiking trail past the Alhambra and saw the most beautiful views of all of Granada. It was honestly one of the most enjoyable afternoons I've had thus far. Nobody else made it out (late night the night before), but I could not be happier that we forced our tired bodies out of bed and outside for 5 hours of movement. Something is so peaceful and rejuvenating about being sweaty and standing on a rocky trail staring at houses upon houses upon mountains upon snow, cool breeze and a bocadillo made of cheese sandwiches and fruit provided by Mami. We met an old man (80 years old) and his son-in-law hiking the trail (we got lost, no surprise, and they pointed us in the right direction). We kept running into them so we decided to just walk with them. Great Spanish practice, and our old friend kept picking up different ferns and leaves and telling us to smell them, placing them in our hands as little gifts. 80 years old and hiking the mountains of Granada, that's what I want to be like.

What else has been going on? Last Sunday morning we went to an open air market they have every Sunday. It was insane. Selling things ranging from pants and shoes and sunglasses to olives and herbs, people yelling everywhere words I assume mean "sale" and just...way too many bodies. An hour after we got there, it was so packed you couldn't walk at your own pace, just let the mass carry you past each store. We decided it was time to go. It was a successful trip though, bought some goodies then immediately felt guilty about it because I have no funds and am now (as always) dependent on my parents. Sad life of college student.

One night we went to this small cave bar type place in Albayzin. It was snug but neat because the walls were like white rock and even neater because they were having live flamenco music...twas awesome, to say the least. Two men on guitar, who never played the same chord but their tunes just flowed together seamlessly. One enormous man in a cowboy hat with a dangly earring who did most of the singing. Quite the performance. His voice was as big as his belly, but so good to listen to, and he'd snap his fingers and stomp his feet and turn his head back and forth to our clapping. And if someone was talking he'd silencio them. I kept thinking he'd knock over a table, but I guess he's a veteran at this kind of thing. I told my friend Matty I wanted to fall asleep on this man's stomach. I still hold true to it. Like a round pillow.

Anyway, the performance was incredible and one of the most SPANISH things I've experienced. They even brought some of us girls up to do some dancing, which was sufficiently awkward because we all move like white girls. But anyway, speaking of performances (leeway), Sarah and I got our own personal performance the other night (not like that). We all went to this bar that was having a Quiz bowl type thing (trivia with prizes), and it was actually really fun. Our team got third place, though I use the word "our" very loosely because all I helped with was confirming right answers by nodding my head. Anyway, these guys with traditional funny looking black jackets walked in and were carrying instrument cases, so Sarah and I asked what they were doing. They said they were part of a group La Tuna, which apparently is a huge musical group that spreads across different universities (almost like frats, but Spanish music). We asked if they could perform for us. They said yes. So we sat on a bench outside and they literally serenaded us...two on guitar, one on mandolin, all singing coordinated like an acapella group. Totally not what we were expecting; they were so good! The next day in class we asked our culture professor about La Tuna, and she said it's a bit like a frat, because los tunos (members) are known to never go to class and drink a lot. They instead spend their time with music. And they are very romantic. If they like a girl they'll rally up the group and serenade her at her window. She winked at us when she said that. Too bad none of the tunos we met were very attractive. Maybe I'll meet another.

So those are the main things...we talked to Mami about feeding us smaller portions. I don't know if the portions got any smaller or if my stomach just grew. Either way, I guess I'm more comfortable.

Today we are going mountain biking. I have a hunch they will be the same trails Sarah and I hiked on, because they were meant to be biking trails. But oh well, I don't mind!

I stubbed my toe on the way to school today and it started bleeding.

Tomorrow we leave for Madrid for the weekend!! We'll be visiting Toledo and Segovia too. I'm excited, because hopefully the fact that it will be my birthday means I won't have to pay for anything. What? I know, I'm desperate.

Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! A Birthday in Spain on the way to Madrid!! What a memorable birthday!!
    Envy you for seeing Granada FERNS on the mountains! Ah, FERNS! Also I heard that Granada in Spanish means "Pomegranate". Is it true?

    ReplyDelete